Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Holding me up

Yesterday was an eventful day! I was playing football with a bunch of other friends after class and right at the end, while running for a deep pass, collided with another guy trying to catch the same pass. To make a long story short, within the afternoon I lost some vision in one eye for a while, had a terrible headache, neckache, was vomiting, dizzy, and even confused about words. I forgot several basic words while talking, like "rock," and the name of the guy driving me to the hospital. lol...it was quite funny.

We went to a walk in clinic and were then sent to the ER so they could give me a cat scan. The first 3 hours or so I was completely miserable and could hardly think. But, I was so blessed with so many of my friends here that were taking care of me and speaking for me. After waiting over 3 hours in the ER, I was finally seen by a doctor. They gave me x-rays because they were afraid I may have injured some of the vertebrae in my neck as well as a cat scan. Everything turned out fine and I was diagnosed with a simple concussion. I need to be really careful for the next 6 weeks so I don't get reinjured in the head...this could cause serious damage. I am doing fine today, just a really sore neck, bad headache, and a little spaciness now and then. They say I may have some memory problems for the next 6 weeks as well.

I am honestly so thankful for yesterday, though. I rejoice in what my Father did! My biggest fear is being alone, and I had actually been feeling quite lonely the last several days. However, with so many people taking care of me yesterday, driving me to the hospital, getting me medicine, speaking for me, and just being there to comfort me, my Father reminded me how He provides for my needs--including my needs of friends, family, and deep relationships. At one point in time there were 14 people hanging out with me in the ER waiting room! And the point where I finally started feeling better came soon after they all grouped around me to put their hands on me and speak for me together. I was so blessed.

It reminded me of the story of Moses, Joshua, Hur, and the battle against the Amalakites in Exodus 17:8-16. "As long as Moses held up his hands, the Israelites were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning. When Moses' hands grew tired, they took a stone and put it under him and sat on it. Aaron and Hur held his hands up--one on one side, one on the other--so that this hands remained steady till sunset."

In my worst 3 hours, I was in too much pain to even think, but my friends held my arms up for me. They spoke to the Father for me when I could not think straight. I remember thinking, "I need to speak to Him, but I can't think." I managed out a little, "help me, Father." But, I was so thankful for those around me who were lifting me up when I was too weak to do it myself.
Those hours spent at the ER were also great bonding times. It turned out to be great fun and I feel even closer to them now. I love my family here.

Oh, and by the way...I'm not pregnant! The first thing they made me do in the ER was take a pregnancy test! Ha! I assured them I wasn't pregnant, unless I could get so by just looking at boys, but they say it's mandatory before x-rays. So, just thought you'd enjoy the rest of my diagnosis from the doctor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome buddy! You also have poeple at home liftin your arms! I'm speakin for you buddy! I'm proud of you and I can't wait to see the harvest reaped from your time over there...whether it's on earth or somewehre higher! :-D Love You!

Anna!
220!